Friday, May 6, 2011

Movie Review: Thor

(Sorry about Minecraft and Science Friday; I've been trying to finish up school, and these past few days have been hectic. Things will start to become semi-regular next week)

I went to go see Thor tonight, as a treat to myself for getting my school work done and completing the last day of my high school career. While I thought it was a good movie, I saw a few things that disappointed or irritated me:

  1. The makers of this film took the stereotype of someone suddenly finding themselves in our society and misbehaving in it (a la Enchanted or Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure). This led to some funny lines and situations, but this type of film makes me uneasy and I don't enjoy the as much as other films.
  2. The heavy reliance on comedy. Don't get me wrong, I love a few funny lines in my comic book movies, but this one is a little over the top. Even the action sequences came across as comical at times. 
  3. The lack of depth in the villain. Loki is supposed to be mysterious and chaotic, but he never seems to have a definite goal in mind and feels one-dimensional.
  4. Anti-climatic. I won't go into detail, but many of the big climatic moments seem to deflate rapidly, as if wanting to move the movie along.
While I did have grievances, this movie was great. The parts were cast perfectly, and it did a good job as a precursor to The Avengers, which I think was the main reason for this movie. The special effects were good, and the comedy, though overused, was of good quality. I give this movie a 6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment