Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mutants, Cuba, and... Kevin Bacon? A Movie Review of X-Men: First Class

Sorry for the lack of posts, I'm stuck in a bit of a lull between high school and college, and it's taking it's toll.

I went to go see X-Men: First Class this past Saturday. I have not seen X-2, The Final Stand, or Origins: Wolverine. I have always liked mutant movies such as these, I just don't get to watch them enough. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and it's excellent acting.

Many were leery of recasting roles that were played by greats such as Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart, and feared that would have a negative impact on this movie. McAvoy and Fassbender brilliantly depicted the friendship, rivalry, and disagreement between Prof. X and Magneto. The acting was astounding, and well-cast.

The storyline was interesting, with a bizarre(for me) twist: the main antagonist was played by Kevin Bacon. He did a brilliant job, but I had never seen this side of Bacon's acting, and I was pleasantly surprised by his role. I hold only one thing against him: He used the power that I had come up with for an upcoming Mutants & Masterminds game, which was both amusing and annoying. The visual effects weren't game-changing, but were very aesthetic and not terribly over-used.

I had no particular qualms against this movie, but is wasn't life-changing. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment